A former port brownfield site converted into a recreational and nightlife spot.
Located on the Quai des Antilles on the western tip of the island, the Banana Hangar became a local entertainment and recreational spot in June 2007. It is home to bars, restaurants, a disco and a contemporary art gallery.
The 8000 sq. m hangar owned by the Grand Port Maritime Nantes Saint-Nazaire was built after the Second World War. Until 1970, it was used to store and ripen bananas imported from the Caribbean. After years of disuse, the site offered a rare opportunity to accommodate new cultural and recreational activities continuing on from the Shipyards site.
In 2005, SAMOA and the local authorities initiated the first discussions with the Grand Port Maritime to undertake the conversion of the site. Headed by developer Jean-Marie Nex and architect Michel Roulleau, the project was intentionally minimalistic in order to conserve the architecture of this building that characterizes the port and maritime heritage of Nantes.
Work began in September 2006 to convert the huge space into independent units including restaurants and bars, a 1700 sq. m exhibit space and a 2500 sq. m club.
Type of project :Economic activities
Completed :June 2007
Surface : 8,000 sq. m
Work mastership :Néo Promotion
Architect / Prime Contractor :Michel Roulleau (44)