High School of the Ile de Nantes
Located on 35,000 sq. m between the railroad tracks and Gaëtan Rondeau, Celestin Freinet and Alexandre Millerand streets, and bordered by the Marcel Lecointre stadium, the Regional Conservatory and France 3, the future high school will be part of the community and will help open up the Malakoff district connected by the new Tabarly bridge:
- A sunny central street (Agora) will serve the school (staff room, administration, student centre, library) and a huge forum, a meeting place central to the project,
- A shared auditorium will also be used by the National Orchestra of Pays de la Loire for rehearsals, in synergy with the Conservatory,
- Sports facilities including a double gymnasium available to neighbourhood clubs and associations when not being used by the high school, and the Lecointre stadium in its current state,
- A 170-bed residence including 20 single rooms with disabled access.
It is accompanied by a major urban upgrade of the public spaces (green corridor towards the Loire, reorganization of the Garden of the Five Senses), thus restoring the area's connection with the river.
As part of the Nantes area school network, this project will take into account the expected demographic and socioeconomic changes, improve schooling conditions for students in the area, and reinforce the social diversity in schools, a key factor for equal opportunity for all families.
The future high school for 1,500 students will replace Vial and Leloup-Bouhier high schools. It will include:
- a general education for local students,
- a tertiary centre for technology training from pre- to post-baccalaureate level,
- a living languages centre with European and international sections and French as a foreign language to meet the needs of foreign families, and Nantes residents wishing to improve their international prospects.
The new high school aims for excellence in education, and also focuses on energy efficiency. In line with the Region's desire for cutting-edge buildings in this field, François Leclercq designed a positive energy, or "energy plus" building that produces more energy than it consumes.
Type : Infrastructure - status : Completed